- Cellulite or medically known as gynoid lipodystrophy, is a normal occurrence affecting almost 90 percent women and 10 percent men during their lifetime, is characterized by the lumpy or dimpled skin.
- Hormonal changes especially lower estrogen levels cause changes in circulation and reduction in collagen level.
- Cellulite should not be considered as disease as it affects majority of individuals, especially women. However, it is not possible to prevent cellulite totally. Weight loss along with endurance and strength training are the best ways of improving the appearance of cellulite.
There are certain instances where we want to wear shorts skirts or sleeveless tops but not confident because you are hiding something. What??????? Orange peel like skin or puckered skin on the thighs or arms. Now that’s quite disappointing and frustrating. We are talking about Cellulite.
Cellulite is found in thighs,buttocks,hips and back of the arms. When the fat cells accumulate and expand under the skin,they push against the tissue and cause an uneven appearance. But right nutrition and diet in our pattern always help in reducing cellulite .Cellulite commonly affects 90 percent women and 10 percent men through their life. It appears as dimpled skin that occurs when the fat beneath the skin pushes against the connective tissue and bulges thus leading to orange peel or cottage cheese like appearance. The risk of developing cellulite increases with age and is the maximum during menopause. Hormonal changes, changes in blood supply and lower estrogen levels can lead to cellulite.
Cellulite may not be dangerous or health affecting but yes it can be not so appealing to the eyes where we get conscious to wear sleeveless or mini-skirts as it can reveal the puckered skin.
What Could Be The Factors That Affect Cellulite?There are various chances that can lead to cellulite. Lower estrogen levels during menopause causes lower blood levels to the connective tissue under the skin. Lower blood flow, low oxygen results in lower collagen production and the fat cells get enlarged when the estrogen levels fall. Thus the fat deposits become more visible resulting in dimpling effect.
With age also, the skin becomes thinner and less elastic thus causing it to sag and increasing the possibility of developing cellulite.
With the high intake of fat, carbohydrates and salt and less fiber intake are more likely to develop cellulite. Smokers, inactive individuals and those who stand or sit for the longer period of time at one place can also contribute to cellulite. Wearing underwears that are tight fitted around the buttocks can reduce the blood flow and result in the formation of cellulite. This condition not only affects obese individuals but also in people who are slim and fit and even in the teenagers.
However, there have been foods that fight cellulite. However, there have been eating solutions in reducing the pesky fat underneath for good.
1. Maintain Schedule While Having Meals And SnacksUnplanned eating can lead to trouble. If we maintain a planned dietary pattern then the body also gets set to when to expect and when it is not time to eat.
2. You Can Have Cheat Day But Just Cheat One Meal A WeekWe know its sometimes essential to break the plan and eat what you crave or urge. But it can add up to many thousands calories and coming back to track the next day becomes hassle. Instead of having a whole day for cheating,just limit it to one meal in a week.
3. Make A Point To Have An Appetizer Before MealWhen we have a 100 calorie appetizer before meal, we tend to eat the main meal less. You can follow the order as: First eat vegetables that should fill up to half of the plate, and then go for protein and then whole grain carbohydrates. The veggies eaten first tend to be filling and by the time it is the turn of carbohydrates we tend to eat less.
4. Say Hello To FatYes sounds to be jaw dropping,but to lose fat you need to have fat. Healthy fat like avocados, nuts, seeds and olive oil can improve the flavor,color and satisfaction after eating them. But remember these items should be just add ons to the main food, not the food by whole like sprinkle flaxseed powder on salads or avocado spreads on the bread for sandwiches.
Hence considering the dietary tips there are certain foods that fight cellulite.
Foods That Fight Cellulite
1. WaterWater is an essential nutrient and effective against the formation of cellulite. Being hydrated is essential for healthy skin as the fat cells tend to get prominent when dehydrated. Hence make a point to drink water regularly every day. Apart from drinking water, it is beneficial to have food with high moisture content like melons, cucumber, tomatoes, green leafy vegetable and grapes. Apart from providing fluid, these foods also provide valuable nutrients and are low in calories.
2. SalmonSalmon is a healthy option that consists of antioxidants that can help in getting rid of cellulite by breaking down the fat cells.Salmon consists of Omega 3 fatty acids that help in reducing the appetite, lowering the inflammation and repairing the skin tissue and fibre. There is also the improvement in blood flow and less buildup of toxins in the blood vessels.
3. Apple cider VinegarApple cider vinegar consists of nutrients like potassium, calcium and magnesium that can flush out toxins and relieve the water retention around the thighs and stomach. Flushing out of toxins reduces the stress hormones, detoxifies the liver and brings the estrogen balance that can help in reducing the cellulite. Moreover, it helps in reducing weight, one of the major contributors to cellulite.It is added in juices and salad dressing and brings about various health benefits.
4. BerriesBerries, especially the black berries and blue berries, consists of antioxidants that can help in breaking down the fat that is associated with the connective tissue thus keeping the fat underneath the skin and not allowing to appear lumpy. Berries also help in stimulating the production of collagen thus improving the skin tone and texture.
5. Green TeaGreen tea contains antioxidants that can help in keeping the body healthy and preventing the cellulite before it starts.Green tea raises the metabolism and reduces the fat stores. Cellulites are considered to be pockets of fat that are unevenly distributed and hence when we eliminate the fat, we are depleting the pockets thus smoothening the body. Drinking green tea regularly is beneficial for general health as well as for reducing the cellulite.
6. AsparagusAsparagus has been gaining popularity due to its anti-inflammatory properties. It helps in reducing bloating and is low in calories. It is an answer to flush out the toxins that can result in cellulite and it enhances blood circulation.
7. Olive OilCooking olive oil at low temperature or drizzling olive oil on fiber-rich vegetables throughout the day has the biggest benefits. We tend to dread to consume fat but not all fat are unhealthy, olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids and polyphenols that keeps the thyroid functioning well. A healthy thyroid helps in improving metabolism, burning fat and keeping the skin healthy,thus reducing the fat cell expansion.
There may not be a specific cure for cellulite but we can control the formation by diet and exercise, avoiding alcohol, sugary and processed foods. We do dread the orange peel appearance of cellulite on our skin and desperately use creams, lotions, potions or consider treatments but the most effective way of smoothing the skin is by improving your diet. Hence do consult a nutritionist whenever in doubt who can help you in maintaining a good diet pattern.