Owning your own blog is rewarding, fun, and you can make a great living doing it. Whether you want to make extra money, work from home, or just have fun, set up your blog correctly for early success.
AFFILIATE LINKS MAY BE USED IN THE POST
Starting your own blog can be a bit overwhelming if you don’t know what you’re doing. However, it’s really very simple.
I’ve written step-by-step instructions to walk you through the entire set-up process.
Also, I’ve included a link for discounted pricing and a free domain name so that you can start a blog for cheap.
Click here to start a blog on WordPress and then follow the instructions below.
Why Blog?Blogging is such a fun and rewarding experience. It give can be a creative outlet, a way to launch an online business, a way to connect with other like-mind people, or all of the above!
Host Your BlogIf you want to start a blog for as little money as possible and have reliable service, choose Bluehost as your host provider. My blog is hosted on Bluehost and I have no complaints. Their customer service is great, it’s easy to use, and it’s really cheap.
If you click my link and sign up for a 12 month plan, you will receive your own customized domain name for free. That’s how my web address is www.crazybusyhappylife.com instead of blahblahblah.blogspot.com. You see the difference? One is more professional than the other.
If you want to make money from your blog, you’ll need a self-hosted domain like the one I have.
You will save more money by signing up for 12 months of hosting. Also, there is not contract so if you decide blogging is not for you, they will give you a refund.
- Bluehost offers cheap web hosting.
- A free domain name.
- 24/7 technical help.
- Free WordPress through Bluehost.
- You will be self hosted. If you want to monetize your blog, you really need to be self hosted.
How to Start a Money Making BlogWordPress is one of the largest blogging platforms in the world and super easy to use. Plus, when you host your site on Bluehost, starting your blog on WordPress is an easy download through the Bluehost site.
I’ll make things simple by dividing the process into two parts:
Part One: Set Up Your DomainThe first step is to decide where you are going to host your blog or site. You might tempted to go the “free” route and host your blog with Blogger or WordPress.com. I DO NOT recommend going this route. A self-hosted domain helps you to completely manage your site and if you want to make money by blogging, a self-hosted site is the way to go.
- First, go to Bluehost’s official website and sign up to get the process started.
- Now you need to set up a domain name. Click the button, “I need a domain name”.
- Spend some time thinking about your domain name. Make it relevant to your blog and easy for people to type.
- After choosing your domain name you’ll need to fill out the account information page, which essentially involves filling out your personal information.
- The next step would be to select an appropriate hosting package. The packages are 12, 24 and 36 month terms.
- To receive the lowest price, choose the “Basic” plan. It’s only $3.49 per month through my link (due upfront in full) if you sign up for 36 months. If you sign up for a 24 month plan, then the price is $3.95 per month. If you sign up for a 12 month plan, then the price is $4.95 per month. I recommend signing up for the 12 month plan. $4.95 is still a really cheap rate for quality web hosting. It comes out to only $59.40 a year. Plus, you get the free domain name through my link when you sign up for 12 months or more. This will save you some serious money.
- Finally, click next to complete your purchase.
Now you officially own a self-hosted domain on Bluehost. That was easy, right? Now you just need to install WordPress and connect it to your domain name.
Part Two: Installing WordPressHow to start a blog using WordPress. Bluehost has made the entire process of installing WordPress fast and easy. Installation of WordPress involves the following steps:
- First, in your cpanel section (you will receive a link to your personal cpanel in your welcome email from Bluehost), select MOJO Marketplace which is the program that allows you to install third-party software like WordPress.
- Next, after clicking One-Click installs button, select WordPress.
- An Install button will appear, click it!
- Now you need to select the domain name where you want WordPress to be installed.
- Accept the license and service agreement by checking the boxes.
- Then select Install Now.
- Now you will see Advanced Options: This section allows you to set-up your own username and password.
- You will want to check “Automatically create a new database for this installation”, unless you already have a different database (if you don’t know, then you probably do not).
- Lastly, check your email for further instructions and information.