Since several years green tea has become immensely popular among all age groups. Today, people opt for green tea rather than the conventional black tea, as green tea has numerous health benefits.
Green tea is known to contain anti-oxidants that help boost immunity and protect the body from all infections. Have you heard of Benefits of Matcha Green Tea?
There are several types of green tea and Matcha Green Tea is one such green tea that possesses numerous health benefits. Before consuming Matcha, one must know what it is made up of and what the health benefits of Matcha Green Tea are.
Let’s read on to find out why Matcha is so popular and cite its benefits on the human body.
What is Matcha?
Before understanding the benefits of matcha green tea, it is important to know what is matcha tea and from where is its origin. Matcha, also known as the health elixir by Buddhist monks is bright emerald finely ground green tea powder. Matcha tea has been part of a Japanese tea ceremony for over 900 years and is immensely believed for its health benefits. Matcha originated in China in the 9th century and was commonly used as a drug to cure various ailments and infections. However, matcha slowly disappeared in China until the Buddhist monks from japan realized its true potential in the 12th century.
Matcha is prepared from a high quality leaf called as “trench”. These leaves are a darker shade of green as they are sheltered away from direct sunlight which reduce photosynthesis and slows down the growth. The darker shade of green color in leaves stimulate the production of amino acids and chlorophyll. The harvesting of matcha tea is done by selecting the smallest and youngest leaves to obtain the finest quality of matcha green tea.
Benefits of Matcha Green TeaOwing to its nutritional value, benefits of matcha green tea are plenty. Matcha is not the typical green tea and is been highly used by the Japanese over hundreds of years. The nutritional benefits of matcha green tea are-
1. Rich In Anti-OxidantsAnti-oxidants are the magical wonder components that fight the negative effects of UV radiation, prevent life threatening diseases and give us younger looking skin. Matcha green tea is rich in a group of anti-oxidants known as “catechins” which are very powerful and stop oxidative damage to cells. One of the most amazing benefits of matcha green tea is that just 1 cup of match green tea provides 5 times the source of anti-oxidants as any other food source.
2. Prevents CancerOne of the most popularly known matcha tea benefits is that regular consumption is believed to prevent cancer. The group of catechins (EGCG, ECG, EGC, and EC) is known to potentially reduce the risk of developing cancer. Some of the cancers known to be prevented are prostate cancer, bladder cancer, Colon and rectal cancer, and breast cancer.
3. Promotes Gastrointestinal HealthDid you ever know that matcha tea benefits your gastrointestinal system as well? A recent study conducted on benefits of matcha green tea indicates that consumption of matcha tea stimulates the fecal extraction and gets rid of harmful toxins and chemicals from the body. Matcha tea is also known to treat gastrointestinal disorders.
4. Increases Endurance and Energy LevelsMatcha tea contains caffeine and works like coffee. However, matcha tea contains a healthy form of caffeine unlike regular coffee. This unique form of caffeine is called “theophylline” that increases endurance and energy levels without causing any side effects. Drinking matcha tea enables the slow release of “theophylline” thereby maintaining hormonal levels and supporting the function of adrenal glands.
5. Cardiovascular HealthMatcha green tea benefits for a healthy heart too. An importance action caused by the exertion of anti-oxidant epigallocatechin gallate helps in the maintenance of cardiovascular health. This component in matcha tea also potentially keeps the cholesterol levels low. Epigallocatechin gallate promotes autophagy in endothelial cells and reduces the accumulation of lipids in the body.
6. Boosts Memory, Mental Alertness and Induces Calm EffectStress is the most burning down factor among the younger generation. Hence it is important to beat stress, boost memory, concentration and mental alertness to stay fit mentally. Benefits of matcha tea play a role in reducing stress and inducing a calming effect on the body. Matcha green tea leaves contain a unique amino acid called “L-theanine” that possesses anti-anxiolytic properties. This assists in sending alpha waves to the brain. The alpha waves in turn induce mental clarity, alertness, memory and a calm feeling of relaxation. Consuming matcha tea regularly causes a calming effect on the mind without inducing drowsiness.
7. Healthy Metabolism is Diabetic IndividualsDid you know that matcha tea benefits those suffering from diabetes? Matcha tea is rich in anti-oxidants that reduce total cholesterol, triglycerides and hepatic glucose content in those suffering from diabetes. Matcha tea also exhibits inhibitory action against hepatic and renal damage be refraining the accumulation of glycation end products in the kidneys.
8. Promotes Weight LossIn the list of benefits of matcha green tea, it is important to note that matcha green tea burns down calories and promotes weight loss. Drinking matcha tea regularly is known to show positive effects in increasing metabolism and burning down calories in the body.
How to Make Matcha Tea?Now that you know the numerous benefits of matcha green tea, the essential question arises on how to make matcha tea? Matcha tea is readily available at health stores, groceries stores and shops online. When you are looking for matcha tea, opt for organic and non-GMO if available. Following is a simple recipe to make matcha tea.
- Boil water in a sauce pan.
- Pour the boiling water in to a tea cup.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of matcha powder to the cup containing hot water.
- Whisk well with a bamboo brush until it appears thick and frothy.
- Add some more water if required.
Green tea in general has many health benefits, but when you consume matcha green tea you are consuming its benefits in the most concentrated form. Due to this the health benefits are amplified.
This miraculous elixir of health has been consumed for centuries in the Far East and is now considered very popular all over the world.