Like all berries, cranberries are known to be a powerhouse of nutrition. Cranberries became popularly known due to its inclusion in the thanksgiving feast in the form of dried cranberries for deserts, and cranberry juice offered along with the meal. Apart from just being a delicious addition to your meal, there are several benefits of cranberry juice. As far as healthy and nutritious food is concerned, cranberries are on the top of the list. They are rich in anti-oxidants and other nutritious components which make them be called the “Superfood”.
Cranberries are fruits that are harvested from water and are rich in nutrition and anti-oxidants that keep your body away from infections and increases overall health. Cranberries grow typically in marshes. When the fruit ripens they begin to surface and float on water. Being exposed to sunlight they are rich in nutritional value.
Health Benefits of Cranberry Juice
Cranberry being a versatile fruit has many benefits. Cranberries are rich in antioxidants that prevent and slow down the oxidation process by stabilizing free radicals. Cranberries have numerous benefits and considered as an age old remedy for several ailments since centuries. Some of the health benefits of cranberry juice are as follows.
1. Anti-Cancer PropertiesThe immense benefits of drinking cranberry juice extend to protection of the body from tumors and cancers. Cranberry has polyphenol compounds that possess anti-tumor properties. Consuming cranberry juice prevents the development and growth of breast, prostate, colon and lung tumors. The salicylic acid content reduces the formation of blood clots that can cause a tumor. Additionally, cranberries also contain anti-cancer compounds called proanthocyanidin that prevent the growth of cancer cells in the body.
2. Fights Tooth DecayDid you know that cranberry juice benefits in fighting tooth decay? The proanthocyanidin compound not just possesses anti-cancer properties but also prevents the growth of bacteria that can cause plaque and tooth decay. Consuming unsweetened cranberry juice reduces the occurrence of bacteria in the mouth, fights bad breath and maintains an overall dental hygiene.
3. Improves Cardiovascular HealthYou may be surprised to know that homemade cranberry juice is known to improve cardiovascular health. Cranberries are known to reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular-related disorders.
Cranberries are rich in antioxidants and flavonoids that reduce the risk of atherosclerosis. Flavonoids suppress the oxidation of the lipoprotein and promote the formation of new blood platelets.
4. Prevents Urinary Tract InfectionsHave you ever considered cranberry juice for urinary tract infections, if you are suffering from one? The role of cranberry juice in urinary tract infections is known since centuries and is legendary.
Cranberries contain proanthocyanidins that prevent the bacteria from attaching to the cells of the urinary bladder walls. They also prevent further multiplication of these bacteria and throw them out through the urine. Cranberry juice makes urine more acidic in nature, making it an in hospitable environment for the bacteria to grow and thrive. Drinking cranberry juice is known to help pregnant women and middle age women who easily fall prey to urinary tract infections.
5. Weight LossEver wondered there could be benefits of cranberry juice for weight loss. Cranberry juice emulsifies the fats in the body which burns up the extra calories and aids in weight loss. Cranberries are also rich in fiber that makes you feel full and saturated for a longer duration without having to eat in between.
6. Prevents Kidney StonesIt is an age-old fact that cranberry juice is good for the kidneys. Cranberries contain Quinic acid that prevents the formation of kidney stones.Cranberry juice is also known to reduce harmful bacteria in the urinary bladder.
7. Prevents Respiratory InfectionsHomemade cranberry juice is known to help inhibit strains of Influenza virus which cause respiratory infections. Cranberries inhibit the hair like structures of bacteria and stop them from adhering to the surface of the skin.
8. Anti-aging PropertiesThe benefits of drinking cranberry juice have an impact on your skin as well. Free radicals present in the outer environment causes the formation of wrinkles, fine lines and pigmentation. Cranberries are rich in Vitamin B3, B5, C, and a high concentration of anti-oxidants that shields the skin from damage that can be caused due to the environment. Cranberries fight free radicals by supplementing electrons, decrease the damage caused and slows the aging process.
9. Treats Acne and PimplesCranberries have anti-septic properties that are known to treat pimples and acne on the skin. Cranberry juice is rich is an anti-oxidant called “Resveratrol” that treats acne and pimples effectively.
Cranberry juice serves as an base ingredient in all face masks and its application gives an instant brightening look on the skin. A combination of cranberry juice along with honey and orange peel powder reduces pigmentation and lightens the skin.
10. Promotes Digestive HealthOwing to the health benefits of cranberry juice, it is known to improve digestive health. Cranberries are rich in fiber which enables the smooth functioning of the digestive system. Cranberries contain anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants that prevent the growth and multiplication of the bacteria Helicobacter pylori which can cause ulcers in the stomach lining.
11. Promotes Hair GrowthDid you know that cranberry juice benefits hair growth too? Cranberries are rich in Vitamin A and C that promotes the growth of hair. Consuming cranberry juice reduces hair loss and results in long and thick hair.
12. Prevents ScurvyCranberry juice is rich in Vitamin C and is extremely important for the production of collagen which plays a vital role in the functioning of tissues. Cranberries also prevent the development of scurvy and boost the immune system.
When you are looking for cranberry juice, ensure that you avoid cocktails or sodas that are commercially available along with cranberry juice as they contain added sugars that are not good for the body. Fresh unsweetened cranberry juice is ideal for good health. Cranberries serve as a great addition to your daily diet and its benefits can be enjoyed both my children and adults. Before consuming cranberry juice, make sure that you consult your doctor to know the recommended dosage as too much is not good for you. Begin leading a healthy life with cranberry juice. It’s not just healthy, but a delicious drink to enjoy daily.