Pomegranate is a kind of berry and is extremely rich in many kinds of nutrients providing us with a vast multitude of health benefits and even the fruit’s juice is very tasty. It is rich in antioxidants, vitamins and fiber. These give this fruit the properties which guard us against a lot many health problems. It has been used since ancient times and was even part of the items buried by the ancient Egyptians with the dead bodies.
It is also sometimes called a power-fruit.
Nutritional Values of Pomegranate Fruit:87 grams (around half a cup) of pomegranate seeds have the following nutritional values
- Energy: 72 kcal
- Protein: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.3 g
- Fiber: 3.5 g
- Fat: 1 g
- Sugars: 11.9 g
- Vitamin B6: 0.07 mg (3.5% of required daily value)
- Vitamin C: 8.9 mg (14.8% of required daily value)
- Vitamin K: 14.3 mcg (17.9% of required daily value)
- Folate: 33 mcg (8.3% of required daily value)
- Potassium: 205 mg (5.9% of required daily value)
- Phosphorous: 31 mg (3.1% of required daily value)
The Numerous Benefits Of Pomegranate Juice:
1. Cancer Prevention:It helps in inhibiting the free-radical action and expelling them from our body because of presence of a good number of anti-oxidants. It also strengthens the white blood (WBC) cell count. It also triggers ‘apoptosis’ where it will help in the self-destruction of harmful cells like cancerous cells. It also blocks the ‘aromatase enzyme which helps significantly in breast cancer prevention by transforming androgen into estrogen.
2. Lowering Blood Pressure:Drinking pomegranate juice on a regular basis helps in lowering the blood pressure levels. Studies prove that consuming it for a few days itself can lower hypertension and keep us healthier. The systolic (larger of the two values in a blood pressure reading) is said to be certainly lowered in those who drink pomegranate juice regularly.
3. Protection From Cholesterol Oxidation:Pomegranate juice contains phytochemicals which help in the low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol getting oxidized and causing heart ailments.
4. Prevention of Blood Clots:The juice of pomegranate is said to prevent the platelets in the blood from sticking together, thereby preventing the formation of internal blood clots which can be fata.
5. Arthritis Relief:Being anti-inflammatory in nature, pomegranate helps fight arthritis which itself is also an inflammation. Containing flavanols too, pomegranates help in fighting this inflammation and treating arthritis. But in case you are on any sort of prescription course, consult your doctor before starting taking pomegranate juice as it might in some cases interfere negatively with the medications.
6. Dental Health:Pomegranate juice is full of antiviral and antibacterial properties and thus helps ward off various dental problems such as dental plaque, etc.
7. Skin Health:The vitamin C content of pomegranate juice helps us in avoiding the wrinkles on the skin. It also improves the collagen production in our body which helps in maintaining good skin and dental health. The vitamin E present in this juice also helps in protecting us naturally from sunburn by eliminating the harmful free-radicals which happens when our skin is exposed to the sun.
8. Kidney Health:The potassium and the antioxidant contents of pomegranate juice help in reducing the risk of kidney diseases and infections caused in case of patients undergoing dialysis.
9. Anemia Cure:Pomegranate juice contains iron and drinking it will provide anemic patients with the essential iron they need and relief from anemia symptoms such as weakness, exhaustion, dizziness and loss of hearing.
10. Combating Infections:The presence of ellagitannins, ellagic acid, punicic acid, anthocyanidins, flavanols, flavonoids and flavones are highly bioactive. These bioactive compounds treat the microbial and parasitic infections, and diseases such as ulcers, hemorrhage, aphthae and respiratory problems. The juice also boosts the growth of probiotic bacteria which ward off many kinds of infections.
11. Memory Boost:Pomegranate juice contains polyphenols which help in providing protection from memory loss and provide us a great deal of help in boosting the memory. The improvement in memory provided by pomegranates is long lasting too.
12. Reducing Atherosclerotic Plaque:Drinking pomegranate juice regularly helps in reducing atherosclerotic plaque formation in the heart.
13. Lowering Triglycerides:Consumption of pomegranate juice is also related to the reduction in triglycerides and improving the ratio of triglycerides to high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol.
14. Maintaining Blood Sugar Levels:It contains fructose and thus helps provide the needed sugar to those suffering from low blood sugar. For those not having low blood sugar levels and those who suffer from diabetes, it does not raise it alarmingly in such a way that it harms them.
15. Improves Muscular Strength:Being a rich source of nitrates, it is shown to enhance blood flow, boosting athletic performance and reduce fatigue.
16. Combats Alzheimer’s Disease:Researchers conducted research on mice have suggested that while also improving the memory, drinking pomegranate juice also helps in preventing the onset of Alzheimer’s disease.
17. Dysentery Treatment:Pomegranate juice stimulates the secretion of certain enzymes that improve digestion and help cure digestive problems such as diarrhea and dysentery. To use it as a home remedy for treating digestion related problems, mix a teaspoon of pure honey in your glass of this daily magic.
18. Induces Weight Loss:The juice contains no cholesterol or saturated fats. Hence it acta as a very healthy energy drink in case of those working hard towards losing weight.
19. Preventing Skin Cancer:This juice also boosts collagen production which plays a vital role in the strengthening the skin. If this juice is applied on the skin directly, it will help in lessening the probability of developing skin cancer.
20. Birth Defect Prevention:If mothers consume pomegranate juice during pregnancy, it will prevent a premature birth and a low body weight for their infants.
Let us also see if we need to be careful about consuming pomegranate juice.
- If you experience any problems once you begin drinking this juice, consult your doctor to see it should not be reacting negatively with your ongoing medications.
- In case you are prescribed rosuvastatin (medicine for patients with high levels of cholesterol), avoid this juice as it can cause breakdown of such muscles which could subsequently cause renal failure.
- If you are suffering from diabetes it would be advisable not to drink too much to gain its benefits as it also has natural sugars, too much of which will cause problems for you.