You have probably heard of the term chi (Qi). It is essentially the energy that gives life.
This energy flows through your body and rules the universe around you. Different things can affect that energy by either bringing it “down” or “up”. That’s why it’s so important to surround yourself with positive energy at home.
When your energy is down, you feel “bad” and when it is up, you feel “good.” Even if you are someone who is not practically aware of your energy, there have likely been times when you have just felt that a person, place or thing has “bad energy”. You know, that creepy or uneasy feeling you get when you are around them or it. On the other hand, you have also probably come across some people, places or things that simply make you feel great. From a very basic scientific standpoint, everything in this world, including you, is just a big ball of energy that vibrates at different frequencies, thus determining what you see or perceive in a physical form.
The Science of Good VibrationsMany quantum physicists have further determined that your emotions are “energy in motion” and they surround your physical body.
These, coupled with your foundational energy makeup, can supposedly even be seen with specific technology (1). Dr. Bradly Nelson, the author and founder of The Emotion Code, claims that emotions, and their resulting energy, are so powerful in fact, that they can literally determine the experiences we bring to ourselves (2).
An award-wining documentary, E-Motion, also explained in detail how these energies even affect our health, causing a slew of diseases (3). Even the American Medical Association (AMA) claims that up to 95 percent of all doctor’s visits are stress related, which is directly linked to our emotional state (4).
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has also claimed that 85 percent of all diseases have an emotional element (5). A study conducted by The Institute of Heartmath, titled “Local and nonlocal effects of coherent heart frequencies on Conformational Changes of DNA,” revealed that when you think and feel angry, fearful and frustrating thoughts, it actually causes your DNA to alter according to those thoughts (6)!
Essentially, when exposed to these negative thoughts (energy) “…the DNA responded by tightening up. It became shorter and switched off many of our DNA codes. The shutdown of the DNA codes was reversed and the codes were switched back on again when feelings of love, joy, gratitude ,and appreciation were felt by the researchers. When experiencing these emotions, the DNA responded by relaxing and the strands unwound. The length of the DNA became longer.” (7).
Boost Positive Energy in Your HomeWhat this means is that any negative or lower frequency emotions ( and thus energy) can have a damaging effect on your body. Like a chemical toxin, negative energy can also affect you on a cellular level, damaging your actual DNA and creating diseases (8). Studies have also shown that changing the frequency of a diseased cell, including cancerous cells, can stop them from growing or spreading (9).
Apart from raising your own energy to keep you happy and healthy, the vibration of your home—the place you go for sanctuary and spend most of your time—is also very important. Like anything else, your home has a specific energy, which means you can raise it to create a more welcoming and comfortable space for you and your family and anyone who enters it.
Here are some really easy things you can do to bring more positive energy into your home.
1. SmudgingAccording to the Chopra Center, “If you’re feeling stuck, negative, sluggish, or even downright depressed, it may be due to some stagnant energy in your field.” (10).
And by field, they mean anything from your emotional, energetic, mental, spiritual or physical body to your environment, which, of course, includes your home, office, or any other space. As the studies show, being around negative energy can be extremely detrimental to your health—mental and physical. One way to remove this stagnant energy is by “smudging.” The art of smudging dates back to ancient times and includes burning sacred plants to clear and bless a space. The smoke that results from burning plants like tobacco, cedar, sweet grass, juniper, pine needles, cypress, lavender, frankincense,
One way to remove this stagnant energy is by “smudging.” The art of smudging dates back to ancient times and includes burning sacred plants to clear and bless a space. The smoke that results from burning plants like tobacco, cedar, sweet grass, juniper, pine needles, cypress, lavender, frankincense, rosemary, and sage, is shown to actually cleanse the air of impurities, including bacteria and viruses. You can “smudge” your space any time you feel like it needs to be cleared.
A good time to smudge an area is when you move into a new home, when you begin a new job or career, after a guest leaves your home, before you meditate or after there has been an argument or someone has been sick (11). You can buy pre-made dried herbs in a smudging stick or you can dry your own. Place them in an aluminum bowl and light the herbs. Blow the flame out gently as you would when you are creating cinders for a fire. As the cinders burn they will release a smoke that will cleanse the air. Carefully walk from room to room, letting the smoke waft through your space. When you are finished, make sure the cinders have died out. This will help attract positive energy into your space.
2. Essential Oil DiffusersMuch like smudging, the heated oils release their cleansing properties into the air, clearing the space of negative energy, including any viruses and bacteria. Essential oils have been used for thousands of years to raise your vibrational frequency.
Oils that are known to help include (13):
- Peppermint—An effective astringent that can clear tension and negative energies. Also a great oil for relieving headaches.
- Frankincense—A Biblical oil known for purification of any negative influences.
- Myrrh—Another ancient oil good for purifying your environment. When combined with other oils, myrrh can increase their potency.
- Rose–One of the highest vibrational frequency oils.
- Cypress—Great for purifying and raising your vibration while grounding and protecting you and your home.
- Cedarwood—A wonderful oil to counter excessive negative energies.
- Basil—A sacred oil known worldwide for its protective properties.
- Juniper—Cleanses negative energies that can affect your health while transforming any negative emotions into positive ones.
- Lavender—Good for removing stubborn energies and for neutralize negative frequencies. A well-known calming agent.
- Sage—A popular oil for neutralizing existing negativity energy.
- Palo Santo—A potent oil that helps clear your home of negative energy while bringing good luck!
3. Clear the ClutterClutter not only fills your home but it can fill your mind and your energy field. The act of removing unnecessary items will help remove any negative energy attached to these items as well as clear the overall energy of your home. There’s no better way to give your home more positive energy!
Decluttering can cleanse your home and your physical body. Start by getting rid of anything you haven’t used in the past six months. Go through your wardrobe and just ditch anything you don’t wear anymore. Resist the urge to tell yourself that you “might” wear it again. Releasing the bond to these items can be extremely freeing and can also release the cluttered energy attached to it. When clearing out the clutter it is important not to stress over it—stressing causes more negative energy! Just do a little once a week or what best fits your schedule (14).
4. Use Himalayan Salt LampsHimalayan salt lamps not only emit a soothing orange, red, pink or whitish glow, they also emit healing negative ions that create fresh, clean air. Himalayan salt is known to increase your energy levels, remove static electricity from the air, and neutralize any electromagnetic radiation and allergens. It also promote good sleep and improve your overall mood (15). These lamps are a great addition to any room and they can help boost positive energy.
5. Play Soothing MusicThe benefits of music are endless. Music has existed in one form or another since man could bang sticks and stones together. While it has evolved with technology, it has always been a cultural form of entertainment and has had a bounty of healing effects on the body. Music can also alter your vibration or that of the space it fills, which is why concerts and such events can be so energetic and memorable.
Numerous studies show that music can provide positive benefits for your heart, blood pressure, immune system, energy, learning and memory, sleep and even pain management (16). To fill your home with positive vibes, play music that is uplifting and brings you joy. Certain types of music are also shown to boost positive energy including classical, jazz, folk, orchestral, soul and opera (17).
6. Get a Family PetFamily pets can bring a lot of love and joy to a home. Just as they love us, they teach us how to love unconditionally and can raise your vibration and that of your home. Studies show they can keep us healthy in a variety of ways, both physically and emotionally. (18)
7. Add Plants and Fresh FlowersNature automatically uplifts and raises your vibration so bring it into your home whenever you can. Live plants and fresh flowers create a beautiful positive energy in any home.
The simple act of being in nature has been shown in studies to lift depression, improve your overall mental health and your general well-being.
A recent study by NASA scientists also found that having plants inside your home can help remove potentially harmful gases such as formaldehyde, Volatile Organic Compounds (benzene and trichloroethylene or TCE), airborne biological pollutants, carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides, pesticides and disinfectants (phenols), as well as radon (19).
7. Give your Rooms a Colorful FaceliftWe all have a favorite color but did you know that studies show that certain colors have higher vibrations than others (20)?
- Orange—Creates excitement and boosts your energy.
- Red—Red can raises the energy in a room drastically and it is known to increase adrenaline and circulation. Because of this, it can be far too stimulating for some spaces or even people as it can also invoke feelings of rage and hostility. It is definitely not a good choice for a bedroom where you want peace and tranquility.
- Green—Green is the easiest color for your eyes and it encourages a feeling of well-being, calm and growth.
- Yellow—This vibrant color is energizing and uplifting and creates joy (like being in the sunshine). It also stimulates happiness but like too much of a good thing, too much yellow can cause frustration and anger in some people.
- Blue—While blue can be calming, relaxing and serene like the ocean or water in general, it can also cause sadness in some people—the “blues.”
- Purple—Deep tones convey a sense of luxury, creativity and drama while lighter hues such as lavenders are more soothing.
8. Keep Healing CrystalsPeople have been using crystals for healing and raising energy and vibrations levels for thousands of years. In fact, amulets made of amber date back 30,000 years. The Sumerians used crystals in potions for healing and the Egyptians used stones for protection and health. On the other hand, Greeks used numerous crystals for their healing and protective properties. Many of the names of various stones today come from Greek words.
For instance, the word ‘crystal’ comes from the Greek word for ice, since the ancient Greeks believed clear quartz was permanently frozen water. The Chinese are also widely known for their use of jade in medicine.
Here are some of the most popular crystals to help raise the vibration and positive energy of your home (12):
- Clear Quartz Crystal—High vibration master crystal that brings clarity to your mind and soul and it clears, protects and expands the auric field around you and the energy of your home.
- Smoky quartz—Removes negative energy.
- Rose quartz— Opens and heals heart energy.
- Turquoise—The master healer regarded for its protective and ‘lucky’ properties.
- Bloodstone—Energizes, boosts enthusiasm and emotional wellbeing.
- Carnelian—Attracts good fortune and encourages creativity and motivation.
- Celestite—Reduces stress and encourages happiness.
- Aventurine—Brings new opportunities.
- Amethyst—High vibration crystal that promotes higher consciousness, calmness, serenity, and healing.
9. Remove Harmful ToxinsToxic chemicals such as those found in household cleaners and paint can significantly impact your health. They can also lower the vibration of your home according to holistic healers. There are a number of effective natural cleaners you can buy as well as make on your own that can help you eliminate most of the harmful chemicals in your home. Your health and beauty and personal care products are another source of toxic chemicals.
Studies show that these chemicals are causing countless diseases including cancer. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) has done a number of studies on the impact these chemicals are having on our health and environment (13). Start researching better alternatives and eventually eliminate as many of these as possible from your daily life.
10. Open Your WindowsIt’s no surprise that a home that is lacking in fresh, clean air can be stuffy and unpleasant for the simple reason it is lacking in a fresh source of oxygen. By just opening up your windows once a day (even for a few minutes in the winter months) you can help release built-up toxins and help positive energy flow into your home.
Increasing the oxygen levels in your home can also increase the efficiency of almost all of the reactions in your body. You will soon see that everyone in the family is happier and healthier. You will even see that by doing just this one step every day, you will sleep more soundly and be rejuvenated when you awaken (14).
11. MeditateBring positive energy into your life by clearing your negatives thoughts and refocusing your mind. Meditation will free you from stress and fear while also promoting relaxation and happiness.
As you increase your good vibrations, it will also affect your immediate environment. It’ll even improve your concentration, awareness, and self-acceptance and promote better heart health, immune function, and longevity.
12. Fill Your Home with Happy MemoriesInvite your friends and family often in your home and create opportunities for new memories to be made. Let you home become a place where positive energy is multiplied and enjoyed by all!
Print out pictures from your favorite trips and moments. The same thing goes for the objects in your home: if it brings you happiness, keep it and display it!
Every few months go through your stuff and get rid of anything with neutral or unhappy connotations.
13. Cut Down on ElectronicsTelevision and other screens can easily become distractions that make you unproductive. Most tv shows are also reeking with negativity. Watching too much tv is even linked to depression, anxiety, sleep problems, and loneliness (15,16).
Spending time in front of the screen is also a form of escapism that brings us further away from ourselves and our goals.
14. Light CandlesNothing sets the mood quite like lighting a few candles. They can transform a drab bedroom into a relaxing oasis or a plain bathroom into a luxurious spa. Lighting a candle is a sure-fire way to boost the good vibrations in your home. Just make sure not to leave it unattended.
Most scented candles contain toxic chemicals like formaldehyde and “fragrance”. If you want a nice fragrance while your candle burns, opt for a beeswax candle infused with essential oils. Candle-powered oil diffusers also do the trick.
15. Create a Space for RelaxationYour home should your ultimate sanctuary. Fill it with things that make your happy and don’t be afraid to decorate. Find a corner in your home just for yourself and spend a few minutes every day just enjoying the space.
Most importantly, every time you walk through the door, leave your worries outside.