Here are few foods you should never eat after they expire.
Foods You Should Never Eat After They Expire
1. EggsEggs are nutrients packed ingredients, when compared to other foods. They come with a delicious taste giving you abundant amount of proteins with a cost-effective rate. It has gained an uninterrupted position in the breakfasts of various people. But is having expired eggs good for your health? The answer is a big NO.
The expired eggs are the root causes of food borne infections. Having them would surely lead to trifling symptoms like abdominal uneasiness, diarrhea, gas, or food poisoning. The eggs generally, do not contain any kind of expiry date, but the cartons they are packed in certainly carry the date when the packing was done. The eggs stored in the refrigerator are good for consuming for nearly 4 weeks, after they are crammed. Having them after a prolonged period would definitely put you in trouble.
2. Deli MeatYou might have heard about the E. coli and the Listeria bacteria, which develop in deli meat when it is processed. These bacteria are widespread in both the types of deli meat, i.e. the prepacked deli meat and the sliced quantity you demand from the butcher. The consumable life of deli meat is merely of three days, after you purchase it. Consuming the deli meat after that would be harmful for your health.
Listeria bacteria can cause you food poisoning to an extreme level. The processed deli meat comes with nitrates in a great quantity, which is the reason for various health problems like cancer.
Hence, it is recommended to have fresh, natural and nitrate free deli meat for your meals rather than choosing processed or pre-purchased deli meat.
3. Mixed Green Leafy VeggiesThe list of green leafy vegetables includes spinach, spring mix, arugula, salad, lettuce, etc., which too have their due dates of expiring. All these mixed greens are used for making sandwiches for a healthy breakfast. The veggies are quickly acquired by the bacteria and pathogens. They can lead to dangerous disorders like digestive disorders, abdominal pain, food poisoning, infections, etc.
It is advisable to check the due date of the packed mixed greens, and store them properly to keep them fresh for a long time. Roll the extra veggies properly in the bag and seal it well or keep them in an air tight container. Also, make sure you consume it within 48 hours after opening it.
4. Alfalfa SproutsAlfalfa sprouts are rich in several nutrients, calories and grams. They list in the top healthy veggies in the world. However, they are the best homes for the bacterial growth also. They work as magnets in attracting various germs than the green leafy veggies. If they are not kept in the refrigerator, you will surely have to check them before you use them.
The alfalfa sprouts should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Also, make sure you have them in 2-3 days after purchasing it. In case you extend the limited period, you are surely going to spend a good amount on treating food poisoning and other digestive problems.
5. OystersThe oysters have been the best choice while celebrating the happy moments. But what if it has lost its freshness! Yes, the oysters are also very harmful for your health, if you have consumed it after its expiry date. The oysters not only smell foul and groveling, but also build up some dangerous bacteria in itself, which can lead to severe food poisoning.
The Vulnific bacteria cause food poisoning, which can be harmful to the blood stream, resulting into septic shocks. The food poisoning from oysters are also difficult to cure. Hence, if you are having oysters in your meals, make sure you are having them fresh.
6. ShrimpWhether you are selecting oysters, shellfish or shrimp, make sure you are purchasing it from a trustworthy person or shop. All these develop bacteria very quickly. In case of shrimps, the growth of bacteria begins when it is removed from the ocean waters. Also, the frozen shrimps would develop bacteria with a rapid speed. So, when thinking of having shrimp, make sure you have the cold ones. That means, if it is not cold, it is harmful.
Shrimps, scallops and shellfish all carry the same property, and hence, they build up bacteria quickly. A protective way to kill the bacteria is by cooking them, however, if you are going to serve them raw, make sure your seafood is within the usable period, and hasn’t extended the expiry period.
7. Raw Ground BeefThe raw beefs have been the stowing of microbes, which generate a bacterium named E. coli. The E. coli leads mild to severe food poisoning effects on the health. For avoiding the dangerous effects of having raw ground beef, select the one which is well processed and stored. A single mistake in the storing and processing system may lead the user in having food poisoning.
For avoiding the ill effects of having ground beef, cook it thoroughly. Check the best before date while purchasing it, and avoid ground beef that is expired. Avoid the purchase of ground beef from sale, as it may be near to its expiry. After purchasing place, it in the refrigerator and consume it within 24 hours for protection from any adverse effects.
8. BerriesEver thought the tasty berries could be harmful also! Yes, that’s true. The berries contain cyclosporine, a kind of bacteria, which is the prime reason of fecal food poisoning. Certainly, the food poisoning caused due to berries is less dangerous than other ones, but it is yet not negligible. It would only lead to problems like shivers, vomiting, chills, diarrhea, nausea, etc. for some days. For avoiding such situations, make a point of having fresh berries, within 3 days of purchase.
Select berries that are bright in color, having plumy bodies and stiff skin. The spoiled berries would appear to be loose in shape, watery, would break down quickly and would also be discolored. The rotten berries would be automatically detected by its texture. The best way to keep them fresh in a healthy way is by covering them with a towel and storing them in the fridge.
9. Soft CheeseWhen it comes to hard cheese, you can easily remove the rotten part on the edges with ease, and use the fresh cheese inside it. However, the similar thing doesn’t apply to the soft cheese. Having even slight mold on the edges of the soft cheese would lead to problems like listeria, a kind of food poisoning.
The dairy products like yogurt and cheese develop bacteria, which have high a risk of the growth of bacteria. It is, hence, necessary to store the cheese wrapped in the refrigerator after looking the expiry date.
10. ChickenChicken and other poultry products, when consumed after the expiry period, have high risks of gifting the user food poisoning. The poultry products need to be stored and cooked well while using it. Consuming underdone or pre-cooked chicken can be dangerous for health. Another danger with the chicken is the cross-contaminated, and hence, the raw chicken and grounded beef should not be refrigerated together.
While purchasing the frozen chicken, confirm it is softened prior to cooking it. If left uncooked, it may lead to the growth of bacteria in it, in a large amount. Even a small portion of uncooked chicken would lead to food poisoning. Before making your dinner, check the expiry date on the chicken.
Thus we have seen foods you should never eat after they expire. The expiry dates are, hence, important while purchasing any of the eatable ingredients. The growth of bacteria, fungus or other germs in the eatable can lead to serious virus or ailments, hazardous to the health. There are eatables, which are safe in limited consumption, but taking precautions are always better than paying the long medicinal charges.
So, next time you visit the market, keep the list of foods you should never eat after they expire, make sure you check the expiry date or the best before date for giving your family healthy meals.