Clean cities promote physical and mental health of its citizens.
They also attract tourists.
These days cleanliness is a prime matter of concern in many African cities.
Here is a brief overview of the top 10 cleanest cities in Africa.
10) Windhoek (Namibia)Windhoek is the capital and the largest city of the Republic of Namibia. It is a clean city and has adopted innovative ways of utilizing local communities for solid waste collection and removal.
9) Dar es Salaam (Tanzania)Dar es Salaam is the largest and richest city of Tanzania. Despite its national significance, the city was known to be one of the most trash riddled cities in Africa. Things are changing for the better.
8) Libreville (Gabon)Libreville is the capital and the largest city of Gabon. It is home of almost half of the population of Gabon. It is a clean city with good paved roads. Libreville looks like a European city.
7) Accra (Ghana)Accra is the capital and the largest city of Ghana. It is centered on British, Danish and Dutch forts and their surrounding communities. Accra is relatively clean, but the city tends to accumulate filth.
6) Tunis (Tunisia)Tunis is the capital and the largest city of Tunisia. It is a fairly clean city, relative to other cities in North Africa. The City Council is responsible for keeping the city clean.
5) Gaborone (Botswana)Gaborone is the capital city and also the largest city of Botswana. It is one of the fastest growing cities in the world. Gaborone is managed by the Gaborone City Council, which has taken many steps to keep the city clean. The pace of growth of the city has posed many challenges to the authorities.
4) Nairobi (Kenya)Nairobi is the capital and the largest city of Kenya. It is popularly known as the “Green City in the Sun.” The city is governed by the County Government of Nairobi. In July 2014, Nairobi’s governor unveiled 14 new garbage collection trucks and one wheel loader to boost the city’s capacity to handle solid waste.
3) Johannesburg (South Africa)Johannesburg is the largest city in South Africa. It is one of the 50 largest urban agglomerations in the world. This modern and prosperous African city has many tall structures, parks, gardens and residential areas. The authorities encourage residents of Johannesburg to volunteer their time to help clean up public spaces.
2) Port Louis (Mauritius)Port Louis is the capital and the most populous city of Mauritius. The city is Mauritius’ economic, cultural and political center. Port Louis is administered by the Municipal City Council of Port Louis. This clean city houses numerous buildings and monuments.
1) Cape Town, South AfricaCape Town is a beautiful city. It has won many prestigious international travel awards. Nestled between the ocean and the mountains, the city has all the amenities and sophistication of an urban area. Together with all Cape Town residents and visitors, the city’s Solid Waste Management Department is responsible for ensuring general cleanliness in streets and public spaces.
The authorities managing these African cities are doing their best to keep them clean.