Friday 21 October 2016

6 Ways To Conquer Your Fear Of Public Speaking

For a long time, I coped with my fear of public speaking by finding excuses not to do it. But in 1995, when a group of young entrepreneurs asked me to present for them, I had a hard time saying no. So after weeks of sleepless nights, I found myself – heart racing, palms sweating – taking the stage to face 400 of my peers.

And then came the tunnel vision.
Although it was scary, I committed to the moment. As I kept speaking, my vision cleared and I got more comfortable. When it was over, I felt a huge sense of accomplishment and was even able to stick around after to chat with the audience.

Brian onstage with Robert Herjavec in 2015. Photo provided by O2E Brands.
Brian onstage with Robert Herjavec in 2015. Photo provided by O2E Brands.
Twenty years later, I’ve spoken at hundreds of events. I still get butterflies, but it’s gotten infinitely easier – which is good because speaking well is strongly linked to career success: it gives you the ability to motivate people and creates a perception of authority, too.
Despite the documented benefits, 74% of people are terrified to get in front of an audience. But if you’ve got a business to run and a story to tell, it’s time to face that fear and embrace the power of public speaking . Here’s how.

Embrace The Nerves
To this day, I still get nervous before I talk. What’s helpful is acknowledging that we get nervous because we care deeply about the audience and our message. Although the rapid heartbeat and sweaty palms may make it feel like you’re headed for disaster, studies show that performance actually peaks under moderate stress levels that activate your body and keep you alert. (And remember, public performance can be scary for even the pros – just think, now you and Adele have something in common!)

Take Notes From The Greats
Speaking of the pros: they’re an incredible learning resource. I try to steal a few tips whenever I listen to a compelling speaker. While watching Jim Collins, author of Good to Great, I didn’t just learn about management; I realized that using a soft tone of voice can draw listeners in. You don’t have to shout to inspire people. Meanwhile, Richard Branson (one of my business heroes) has publicly struggled with his fear of public speaking, but watching him put himself out there anyway is incredibly inspiring. 

Ditch PowerPoint
Nothing drives me crazier than watching people read verbatim from a presentation. The best speakers are storytellers – not readers – and if you’re using slides, your audience will follow the screen instead of you. Storytelling means sharing an experience with a beginning, middle and end. The brain has evolved to crave this format – 65% of our conversations are made up of personal stories – and these things stimulate the mind in ways regurgitating information does not.
PowerPoint is a distraction that prevents people from joining you on your journey. So ditch it and share a strong story instead.

Get Personal
On that note, an effective business speech doesn’t have to be about ROI or market share. At a public salon in Vancouver this May, I gave one of my best-received presentations, but it barely touched on what our company does. Instead, I focused on the lessons I learned from my first, failed marriage and my grandmother’s passing. Being vulnerable in this way allowed the audience to connect with me. Finding common ground with your listeners is key to any good speech – we’re all united by the same human desires and fears. Don’t be afraid to go there.

Let Your Style Shine
People connect when they sense they’re getting the real deal. I was asked to speak to one of the largest orthodox Jewish business group in the world – a formal group with a formal dress code. But I decided to be myself, and even in my T-shirt and Converse sneakers, I got a standing O. Just look at Steve Jobs: it wasn’t just the innovative products that captured the world’s attention, but the genuine passion he communicated, breaking into grins and peppering presentations with “cools” and “awesomes” that seemed truly off-script


Learn To Love Feedback
So you’ve gotten personal, you’ve ditched the Powerpoint, and you’re wearing comfortable shoes, but the reality is that you still might bomb. Don’t look at it as a setback – try to understand why you bombed. Immediate and specific constructive criticism – delivered with care – has been proven to be a powerful influencer for learning and achievement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTOMATIC RANKING OF TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS IN DEVELOPING NATIONS (A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIA UNIVERSITIES)

University ranking has become increasingly important in recent years among the general public at large because it creates a public platform...